- download the List Search Web Part Installation Instructions
- either install the web part manually or deploy the feature to your server/farm as described in the instructions.
- Security Note:
if you get the following error message: “Only an administrator may enumerate through all user profiles“, you will need to grant the application pool account(s) for the web application(s) „Manage User Profiles” permissions within the User Profile Sevice (SSP in case of MOSS2007).
This ensures that the application pool is able to retrieve the list of user profiles.
To assign this permission, access your active “User Profile Service” (SP 2010 Server ) or the “Shared Services Provider” (MOSS2007) via Central Admin.
From the „User Profiles and My Sites” group, click “Personalization services permissions”.
Add the „Manage User Profiles” permission to your application pool account(s).
- Configure the following Web Part properties in the Web Part Editor “Miscellaneous” pane section as needed:
- Site Name: Enter the name of the site that contains the List or Library:
– leave this field empty if the List is in the current site (eg. the Web Part is placed in the same site)
– Enter a “/” character if the List is contained in the top site
– Enter a path if the List in in a subsite of the current site (eg. in the form of “current site/subsite”)
- List Name: Enter the name of the desired Sharepoint List or Library
Example: Project Documents
- View Name: Optionally enter the desired List View of the list specified above. A List View allows you to specify specific data filtering and sorting.
Leave this field empty if you want to use the List default view.
- Field Template: Enter the List columns to be displayed (separated by semicolons).
Pictures can be attached (via File Upload) to the Sharepoint List items and displayed using the symbolic “Picture” column name.
If you want to allow users to edit their own entries, please add the symbolic “Username” column name to the Field Template. An “Edit” symbol will then displayed to allow the user to navigate to the corresponding Edit Form:Example:
Type;Name;Title;Modified;Modified By;Created By
Friendly Header Names:
If you would like to display a “friendly header name” instead of the default property name please append it to the User property, separated by the “|” pipe symbol.
Picture;LastName|Last Name;FirstName;Department;Email|Email Address
Hiding individual columns:
You can hide a column by prefixing it with a “!” character.
The following example hides the “Department” column:
Suppress Column wrapping:
You can suppress the wrapping of text inside a column by prefixing it with a “^” character.
Showing the E-Mail address as plain text:
You can opt to display the plain e-mail address (instead of the envelope icon) by appending “/plain” to the WorkEmail column:
- Group By: enter an optional User property to group the rows.
- Sort By: enter the List column(s) to define the default sort order. You can add multiple properties separated by commas. Append “/desc” to sort the column descending.
The columns headings can be clicked by the users to manually define the sort order.
- AZ Index Column: enter an optional List column to display the AZ filter in the list header.
If an “!” character is appended to the property name, the “A” index will be forced when visiting the page.
- Search Box: enter one or more List columns (separated by semicolons) to allow for interactive searching.Example: LastName;FirstName
If you want to display a search filter as a dropdown combo, please enter it with a leading “@” character:
Friendly Search Box Labels:
If you would like to display a “friendly label” instead of the default property name please append it to the User property, separated by the “|” pipe symbol.
WorkPhone|Office Phone;Office|Office Nbr
- Align Search Filters vertically: allows you to align the seach input boxes vertically to save horizontal space:
- Rows per page: the Staff Directory web part supports paging and lets you specify the desired number of rows per page.
- Image Height: specify the image height in pixels if you include the “Picture” property.
Enter “0” if you want to use the default picture size.
- Header Text: enter an optional header text. Please note that you can embed HTML tags if needed. You can additionally specify the text to be displayed if the “Show all entries” option is unchecked and the users has not performed a search yet by appending a “|” character followed by the text.
This is the regular header text|This text is only shown if the user has not yet performed a search
- Detail View Page: enter an optional column name prefixed by “detailview=” to link a column to the item detail view page. Append the “/popup” option if you want to open the detail page in a Sharepoint 2010/2013 dialog popup window.
- Alternating Row Color: enter the optional color of the alternating row background (leave blank to use default).
Enter either the HTML color names (as eg. “red” etc.) or use hexadecimal RRGGBB coding (as eg. “#CCFFCC”). Enter the values without the double quotes.
You can also change the default background color of the non-alternating rows by appending a second color value separated by a semicolon.
The default Header style can be changed by adding the “AESD_Headerstyle” appSettings variable to the web.config “appSettings” section:
<add key=“AESD_Headerstyle“ value=“background:green;font-size:10pt;color:white“ />
- Show Column Headers: either show or suppress the List column header row.
- Header Row CSS Style: enter the optionall header row CSS style(s) as needed.
- Show Groups collapsed: either show the groups (if you specify a column in the “Group By” setting) collapsed or expanded when entering the page.
- Enforce Security: hides the web part if user has no access to the site or the list. This avoids a login prompt if the user has not at least “View” permission on the list or site containing the list.
- Show all entries: either show all directory entries or none when first visiting the page.
You can append a specific text to the “Header Text” field (see above) which is only displayed if this option is unchecked and no search has yet been performed by the user.
- Open Links in new window: either open the links in a new window or in the same browser window.
- Link Documents to Office365: open the Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents in the Office365 web viewer.
- Show ‘Add New Item’ Button: either show or suppress the “Add new item button” to let users add new items to the list (this option is security-trimmed).
- Export to CSV: Show/hide the “Export” button for Excel CSV File Export
- CSV Separator: Enter the desired CSV field separator character (Default=Comma). Use a semicolon in countries which use the commas as a decimal separator.
- Localization: enter the following 4 values (separated by semicolons) in your local language if you need to override the English strings corresponding to the
– Search button text,
– A..Z menu “View all” option,
– the text displayed for Hyperlink columns
– the optional “Group By” name (if grouping is enabled)Default:
- License Key: enter your Product License Key (as supplied after purchase of the “Staff Directory Web Part” license key).
Leave this field empty if you are using the free 30 day evaluation version.
- Site Name: Enter the name of the site that contains the List or Library:
Contact me now at email@example.com for the List Search Web Part and other Free & Paid Web Parts and Apps for SharePoint 2010, 2013, Azure, Office 365, SharePoint Online